Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Change of Pace

I know I said I'd write a post all about the visit with the head doctor from last week. I've tried several times to sit here and write it all up. Forgive me for not doing so just yet (if at all). I just keep end up focusing on one thing that came up from the session.

We don't want to find out the gender.

Well, mostly I don't, but I've convinced the Boy that he doesn't either. Between my eloquent and heart-felt explanations and a few favors on top, he has agreed to wait it out with me. For 5 more months!

Call me crazy. In fact, I probably am. At least, crazy for me (but most likely, crazy for other people, too). This is a complete 180 from the normal, usual Christina. If I'm known for one thing, it's for being a planner/organizer/Type A/OCD. I would plan out what to pack for an overnight stay at friends' or family's. Heck, I actually still do! If it is for several days, I'll probably even make a list and check it off as I put the items in the bag. I schedule my days at work by the hour, for the week. If it is something that can be planned and over-thought, I'm your girl.

And yet, this whole pregnancy, I haven't really planned, other than scheduling appts when the Boy has the day off and in the morning to impact my work day as little as possible. I've been moving along, letting things take me where they will. On a day to day basis, my anxiety levels are almost non-existent. I worry about things, sure. I'm just not doing it for as long or as often. Most of the time, if I'm fretting about something with the baby or my body, I practically dismiss it with a "What will be, will be. Nothing I can do to change that."

That is probably the overriding theme of this pregnancy. Nothing I can do to change anything. It's all beyond my control, so I might as well accept it and enjoy this whole trip. That definitely carries over into the "to know or not to know" decision on the baby's sex. There is nothing I can do to make it one or the other, nor do I have a preference either way. As long as it is healthy and happy and I can take it home, I'm a happy camper. What difference will knowing the sex have any of my decisions or actions the remainder of this pregnancy?

We are planning a gender neutral nursery (green, aqua and chocolate). I'm not huge on going all blue or all pink. I don't want to force my possible daughter to wear big flowery headbands and frilly, flowery dresses. Nor do I want my boy stuck in sport themes and construction vehicles. I feel (other than the frillies) that babies of either sex can wear little overalls with bugs or dinosaurs or hearts on them. Whatever. When they are older and decide they want to wear pink (both sexes), then so be it. As long as they are happy and comfortable with themselves and in what they are wearing, does it really matter? Besides, I know how to care for boys and girls in the early stages and on up thanks to my older sister and her kids, not to mention all the baby sitting I've done. No huge surprises there or tips/tricks I need to prepare for before birth.

As for the name game, I'd like to meet the baby before saddling them with a name for the rest of their life. If I wait to get to know my pets before naming, at least I could do the same for my child! We'll likely have had several names picked out even if we end up finding out if it is a he or she, just to have a few choices to find the one that fits best. Besides, gender isn't always 100% on u/s. There could be a surprise at delivery anyways, in spite of months of planning and name selecting. (The Hubs nixed the idea of selecting gender neutral names, though, which solves this problem altogether).

Most importantly, it's been an uphill battle to get to this point since day 1. maybe more like month 3, but still. We didn't get here easily. We didn't have that naive innocence that most couples get to experience when TTC but for 2 months, 1 of which we weren't technically "trying" as much as giving it a whirl. It was bad news after bad news for us from September to easily January if not into March with the crazy ovarian cyst. None of that was planned. We weren't able to decide on those things ahead of time, schedule them in to best fit in with our lives. Why start now? We've had few happy surprises this past year. This pregnancy happening, and then continuing to progress well, happily, and healthy has been one of the greatest surprises of our lives. We may not get to experience many more joyous surprises like this. Why not make the most of it? How sweet would the icing on the cake be in the delivery room to not only welcome our child into the world (hopefully) but to find out the sex as the nurse/Dr yell "It's a _____!!"

It is more important for me to end this whole family building (phase I) with a baby than with a boy or a girl. Not all the family/friends/coworkers think it is the best choice, but it's ours. And I'm kinda digging the more relaxed approach on things. I know it will all change with that 1st little cry, so I should enjoy it while I can!

7 comments:

  1. I love it! We've already decided (when the time comes..) that we wouldn't want to know either. And like you, I'm a crazy planner (I leave for Ireland in 2 weeks and my suitcase is already out) My guess is a boy though :)

    I love those colors for your nursery..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm usually a major over-thinker, over-planner, and over-analyzer, but like you I'm pretty relaxed so far throughout this pregnancy. I don't even have a to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I totally get it now. I think I've got some stuff to learn from you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is great! I love the way you're taking it easy and not over planning too much. Doesn't really work for me, but that's ok - that's why there are lots of us in this world! How boring would it be if we were all the same?

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great philosophy- I am sure it is giving you a lot of much deserved peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on the other side of the "finding out the gender" debate, but I think your approach and outlook is awesome. I wish I was patient enough to wait...but I'm not and pregnancy hasn't changed that for me. I can relate to your feeling of ease with the pregnancy. My fear has dissipated a lot over the last few weeks and it just feels comfortable to be pregnant now. It's not all-encompassing like I thought it would be. As always, it is so nice to read your thoughts and insights since we are in a similar boat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just came across your blog. Good for you for not finding out! My husband and I just had a baby girl 4 weeks ago and we didn't find out either. When they put that baby on my chest I wasn't even thinking was it a boy or girl, all I could do was cry that my little human was finally here and in my arms. The best part of all? My husband was the one that announced she was a girl... and that was incredible!
    Good luck on the rest of your journey :)

    ReplyDelete