Saturday, April 16, 2011

Playing at Mommy

Cricket's surgery went well on Thursday. We dropped her off on Wednesday morning to get radiographs of her right knee. She stayed overnight, had the surgery, and stayed for recovery until Friday afternoon. Boy, was she glad to come home! Our other dog, Mazzy the lab mix, was happy for her to be home. She definitely missed her friend!

So this brings me to the post title. Cricket is going to require a lot of care as she recovers over the next 2 months. There is medication to give; feedings and waterings to observe. I'll need to take her to the bathroom, and help support her. The rest of the time she'll be sleeping. It's so very much like taking care of a baby.

I realized that while it is very demanding, it is rewarding as well. I love that she happily and sleepily wags her tail when I come to feed or walk her. She leans into my scratches and pets. I have so much patience with her. I feel protective of her, making sure that she is comfortable and as happy as she can be.

I feel maternal. And it makes me feel happy, sad, warm and empty, all at the same time. This is why I want a baby. I enjoy taking care of others. It not only makes me feel needed and loved, but I love that I am bringing them comfort and nurturing them. It warms my heart to know that I'm the reason they are happy and content. Their well-being was something I had a hand in. Seeing them resting peacefully makes all the difficulties and inconveniences worth it.

I'm a good wife and have taken care of my poor hubby when he's hurt or feeling under the weather. I taken care of all the pets at some point after an illness or accident. I have the experience under my belt. Now, I want the chance to do the same with my own child.

7 comments:

  1. Poor little pup! Hope she recovers quickly! And I completely understand the feeling of wanting to take care of something. I hope your opportunity comes very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a reason they call them fur babies. I totally get it. I find myself holding luna in a baby-cuddle position more often than I'd like. Hope your Cricket has a quick recovery!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me so happy to hear how good furparents some people are. Given all the bad stories out there, it just warms my heart so much to hear how well taken care of some furbabies are. I hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, I'm so glad your cricket is home. You are, and will make, a wonderful mom. How we take care of our pets and husbands are a very good indication. Hoping she recovers quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor puppy. I competely relate with your maternal feelings. I'm sure you will be taking care of a little non-furry baby very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. <3 it :) You're going to be a wonderful mommy!

    ReplyDelete